Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Grand Central Station and talk of the Theatre....



Due to the housing woes (i.e. mainly the fact that I don't want to live with a bunch of filthy drunken frat boys, as proposed by Dave's school), I am still bunking with my lovely and generous family down in Chislehurst.

Currently living here are: myself (on spare matress on floor), my cousin Emma, my cousin John, his girl-friend Becky (most nights), Jane and my uncle Ron, 3 cats, and 3 lizards.

And there's only one bathroom.

Consequently, mornings are a bit like Grand Central station, or some Dickensian bording house, with girls thumping up and down stairs for their five-minute slots in the john, followed by five minutes at the breakfast counter (with the stool still warm from its prior occupant), all set the the dulcet sounds of yelling about who's got the hair-dryer and mum, what did you do with my jeans? no, not the blue pair, the black pair! No, not that black pair, the other black pair! And then, door slams at 7:30 and, in a whirl-wind of coats, everyone is suddenly gone, and the silence is not reassuring but somehow lonely and a bit of a let down.

But...I have located a new flat, as Dave previously mentioned. It's five minutes from the school and is brand-new, bright, modern, clean, with all new appliances and double-glazing, which always illicites approving murmurs over here. We'll move in on October 13th, which is a scant 3 weeks away, and gives us time to get our stuff together...maybe I'll even have a husband on these shores by then to help with the heavy lifting!

In terms of the theatre school...it's going well.

This week is mostly registration, meeting our tutors, going to classes on how to budget, lectures on the importance of proper hygene and frequent washing now that you are no longer living with Mummy (which sounds crazy, but you'd be surprised....I had a few run-ins with the personal hygeine problem at George Brown and it was NOT pretty. ) Pretty dull, and lots of hanging about, which is a pain when you have to travel 2 hours to get here each way, but all necessary stuff in order to begin properly next week. Meeting loads of nice folk, so that's good.

So things are looking up...hopefully tonight I will be able to FINALLY collect our 15 lonely boxes of shipped cargo from Stansted....fingers crossed y'all!

2 comments:

Edukator said...

Wow, great picture of the Globe. Makes my heart pitter patter. Thank you Aunt, Uncle and two cousins there so much for saving our butts.

I started work today. I'm preparing for training. Spent most of the day trying to figure out what the heck to do. Basically I think I'm going to do 13 1 hour classes then monitor people.

Keep posting! I love to come on the blog and see what's going on.

Lex said...

Zut-alors! Sounds like a tight fit. I am glad you found your own place, its definetly a load of your chest, isn't it!