Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Good News...Finally

David Burns is now employed and Genevieve Burns now has a place to live. Whoo hoo!

First thing I thought of when I couldn't get to England was that I would have to find some sort of work here, but alas, I despaired that it would take a week or two to get work an interview and then another week or two to get hired...and then I'd be gone.

But sometimes strange things happen. A friend of my father's called and mentioned that he'd just started managing a call centre. I've been working in call centre's off and on for about 8 years now so my dad asked him if they were hiring. Turns out it's a very new call centre so they really need knowledgeable people. After talking to Phil (dad's friend) he thought I could train people. So I went in for an interview today and convinced the Operations Manager that, despite the fact that I'm only going to be around for 4 weeks (maybe more) I could really help them out.
She asked me to sit down and listen to some calls and inform them what I could do to help. I listened for about and hour and then noted the areas I saw for improvement. I prioritized what we should focus on based on their goals and needs and she hired me! Amazing how convincing you can be when you actually know what you're talking about. This type of training is something I've really wanted to do for a long time so it's a good match.

As for Genevieve, when she arrived at the house where the recruitment company was going to put us up she found it was an absolute pig sty. (is that one word?) There were at least 7 people living their, our bed looked slept in, there was underwear hanging on the staircase railing, moldy dishes in the sink and garbage on the kitchen table. We're not really picky but it was unlivable. That was Saturday but on Monday she found a nicer cleaner place that's a 5 minute walk from her school! And it's cheaper! We're going to move in with another student from her school named Rachel who seems super cool. All in all it's been a great two days. Things finally went right for a change. Genevieve described the house and it looks just like the one on the left minus the columns, 8 bedrooms, 5 fire places, 11 bathrooms, the brick exterior and the trees. It's a good size, well lit and clean though!

Strange synchronicity on the job front, makes you wonder if there's someone looking out for you.

Anyway, off to work tomorrow. Whoo Hoo!

P.S. Happy anniversary Genevieve. Sorry I can't be there. I love you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, guys I am very excited for your good news and it came on your special day too! Much love. Valerie.

babagenouche said...

Thanks Mummy - love you!

Edukator said...

Thanks Mummy! Sign your name next time. :)