Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Boxing Day

Well I'm sitting in Chiselhurst at Babagenouche's Aunt and Uncle's house on Boxing Day morning with fine memories of Turkey, Christmas Pudding, Wine, Conversation, and hysterical TV show called "The Vicar of Dibley" dancing through my head.

It's been a bit strange being away from the family in Canada. I miss everyone there. So if you're reading this blog put a comment on it! It's the only way I know any one's actually reading it and it's nice to hear your voice...or read your text as the case may be.

Christmas day was wonderful. We got things rolling around noon with some champagne and orange juice. The we commenced to open gifts. I got some lovely stuff from Genevieve including a shirt of Darth Vader trimming a hedge in the shape of the Death Star. I'll take a picture and upload it. We had Christmas dinner in the afternoon which is traditional here. It's a good plan actually. Aids the digestion mightily. You get to burn off the meal and then have a light dinner later.

I've discovered the most dense substance in the universe: Christmas Pudding. You think to yourself "Jeez that's a small portion" as you gaze upon the small cake on your plate. After two bites, however, you're crippled. You can barely lift your spoon it's so heavy. It's like a delicious brick of boozy lead on you plate. Four spoonfuls and you start to go into a coma. Five and the weight of it tears a hole in your stomach and you die with a smile on your face. I survived six spoonfuls (or is that spoons full?) I'm proud to say. I've still got burn marks on my chest from the defibrillator but it was worth it.

We'll be heading out of here today and I'll post some pictures I took.

Merry Christmas to all!

4 comments:

Jules said...

Merry Christmas to the both of you! I've always wondered if Xmas was better in England. Did you bump into Scrooge or Tiny Tim?? Har, har, I kill me.

What about the "figgy pudding"? Is that the same as the pudding you had?

Enjoy your break. You deserve it!!!

Edukator said...

My entire life I thought it was "piggy pudding." I think it's different than Christmas pudding.

On a related note: I tried to explain that pudding in North America is not like pudding in Britain. Pudding here is like cake. But pudding in Canada is uh...umm...like liquid but thick. It's more like mousse but it's not mousse. Sort of like jello but...oh godamn it! It's just pudding! It's pudding. It's its own food group for the love of all things holy.

Anonymous said...

Well... I must say that I raised a glass in homage to *Kwannukamas* this year .... you are both very much in our thoughts

xxxxxxx
~linds.

Julia Lulu said...

Merry Christmas Dave. I can imagine being homesick around this time of the year, but I'm sure you and Genevieve are totally enjoying this whole British Christmas experience. You didn't miss much really... Christmas was pretty shitty this year - no snow here, no Christmas Spirit.

Good luck and have a great new year. Have fun teaching! :D

Julia