Thursday, December 21, 2006

Christmas Break, A Coma, and A Man Pisses on A Pop Machine in the Underground

Christmas break is upon me! Thank God! I crossed the finish line and collapsed into a mega coma last night. I fell asleep at about 8:00 and slept until 10:45 this morning. You think pimpin ain't easy? Try teachin!

I feel refreshed for the first time in 2 months.

As for the third line of my heading...

London is a different place than Toronto. It's also much different than Seoul. People do things in public that I just wouldn't expect in either of those two places. Granted - in Seoul people would wander out of bars and piss on walls in full view of everyone but at least they were kind enough to use a wall. Plus they were always dressed in business suits which added an air of respectability to the act.

Babagenouche and I went to a place called Spitalfields market today to do some shopping and were about to purchase a beverage with which to quench our thirst from a pop machine in the London Underground when a scruffy looking bum strode up and stood beside the machine and the wall in what I can only describe as the "Urination Position." Most men are familiar with this as it's the stance assumed at a urinal - though rarely at a pop machine. We backed off and within a minute or so (apparently some stage fright had slowed the process down) we heard a mighty splashing. I couldn't believe it. The guy was obviously hammered out of his mind, most likely homeless, and hopefully insane but I still couldn't believe it. I wish I'd had the guts to take a picture. I don't think he would have minded.

Having said that Babagenouche and I had a good day. Spitalfields market is a cool place. Usually it's rammed with people but since we went on a Wednesday during the day it was much less crowded. There's an area that's full of stall that are loaded with all the accouterments of alternative street stall life. Clothes ranging from hippie rags to stylish funk, knick-knacks of all sorts, beaded jewellery, art, drug paraphernalia, food stalls, and all the fair trade and organic food/clothing/furniture/jewellery you can eat. There are all kinds of great shops around that often fall into that high end specialty category. There's cool wine bar we have to go back to...a place to buy bean bag furniture...just a cool all around place.

We had a brunch meal in a place called Giraffe which is a "Global Eatery." Really good food and atmosphere. I have a picture of us in it but I don't know how much of the restaurant you'll see.

Anyway, back to school.

I had a pretty relaxed time over the last few teaching days. No planning. I just did some fun stuff like watching some movies. The students were pretty good overall. I was warned that things can get really crazy because the kids actually hate x-mas vacation as they often don't like the time they spend in their home lives. The kids were pretty good though. I think a lot of it has to do with the stellar management that the school is doing. There was a prize draw for a bike or a PSP (portable play station), gifts for students, and certificates of merit - all given out at then end of the last day. Oh and there was a Christmas meal at a pub on the second last day that went extremely well. The kids can be great when they're relaxed and having fun. I think this really tied some kids in and kept them going to the end.

Anyway I should have lots of support for the upcoming term from a science program at a nearby school and from a consultant. I'm really paranoid about my evaluation and record keeping so that's what I've got to improve for the upcoming term.

Hopefully I find the will to do some planning over the break.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! England is a very scary place!

I miss you guys and your Annual Christmas Party! Have a safe and happy holiday! And nothing but the very, very best in 2007!
xoxo