Monday, October 16, 2006

Tally Ho and Pip Pip!


I'm here! I'm actually here!

I landed on Saturday the 14th and was whisked across town by a very calm and friendly Indian gentleman. We were almost killed on the highway by a woman who failed to check her blindspot but luckily at the last minute she swerved back into her lane. Other than that, and the fact that he couldn't find the address in his mapbook, on his GPS mapping system, or the fact that he dropped me off and Genevieve wasn't at the aparmtment my trip was stress free. Except for an airport incident that I don't even want to get into.

Genevieve, it turned out had just gone to the store for a moment so she when she returned everything was finally right again.

I'm very impressed with the living accomodations that she has found for us! The building is very nice and the apartment is bright and well lit. Our roommate, Racheal, seems awesome and I feel very comfortable there. We have a grocery store right beside us and the Subway is a 2 minute walk. Oh, I discovered today that the "Tube" or train is differnt here. It took me an hour to go 8 stops with a transfer. My train comes every 15 minutes or something. Bad news... hope I can find a faster way. Anyway.

Day one, we unpacked, then went out for alook around. We went up to the high street (main street) and straight into the pub where I had my first pint with a Steak and Ale pie. Yes guy. The menu boasted that it weighed a pound. And...it came with a potato. I took a picture of it but I can't upload it just yet. It's a beautiful thing.

Then Gen and I poked around the shops and stuff. It looks like we're in a small town because all the houses are small and quaint but it's very densely packed. It's actually very crowded although it doesn't really look that way.

Sunday we went into Loughton (half hour walk away) which is like the main town/shop area. It's really amazing. I went into a Marks and Spencers and even took a photo of it for Genevieve's mom! She looooves Marks and Sparks.

Anyhoo...spent the whole day today registering at TimePlan and getting my bank account opened. Met another teacher named Beth from Toronto who had just come in because HER visa was rejected too.

I flew on a night flight on Friday on which I slept only about an hour. Then I didn't go to sleep until Saturday at 7:30pm. I got up Sunday at 9:30 and I've had no jet lag whatsoever.

I'm taking pictures of random things like my meat pie, a store called FAGS AND MAGS, and funny street signs but I can't upload them just yet.

All in all I'm really looking forward to my time here and feel relaxed and hopeful for the first time in abut 2 - 3 months.

I don't have internet access yet so I'll be updating and emailing when I can.

Cheerio Y'all!

Talk to you soon.

David

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys!
Glad to hear things are looking up - i think it all sounds very fantastic. Although I don't know about the steak pies...I much prefer greasy oxtail and a scowl from Albert's.
Miss you funny folks!
xo

Paul said...

Yay, that sounds like loads of fun. So glad you guys are reunited in jolly old England.

Anonymous said...

Jolly good, ol' chap. Glad to 'ere you made it to the Old Country. I'm sure your arrival was good, eh ... good ... eh ... you know ..... good ... nudge-nudge, wink-wink, say no MORE!