Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The Dreaded Lurgy


I managed to get through the Christmas holidays without getting any serious sickness. This seemed quite miraculous at the time as most of London was felled by one flu or another.

Unfortunately that all came to an end yesterday morning.

I awoke feeling fine but by the time I was halfway through brushing my teeth I realized there was an ever tightening knot in my stomach and that my head was beginning to pound. I realized that I was quite likely to throw up at any moment.

Throwing up, hurling, visiting the porcelain telephone and speaking to Ralph... all these things are about the worst thing I can imagine. I hate being sick more than anything else. I fight it to the bitter end.

Which is exactly what I did.

I spent the next hour and a half arranging my lesson plans so I could email them in. Luckily I got sick on the day that is, without a doubt, the most organized day I've ever had as a teacher. I had EVERYTHING set up for the day. I was actually looking forward to going to work so I could enjoy the fruits of my labour. Someone else did, but at least it made me look good.

I woke up this morning and still had a pounding headache and a high fever so, alas, here I am at home again.

I'm feeling better though so I'll probably be at work tomorrow.

There ya go. Not the most interesting post but a post nonetheless.

No comments: